One of the worst feelings in the world is dealing with a locked jaw. Sometimes, no matter what, the slightest stress can get your jaw to pop out of its place. Not only is it painful, but it is also super uncomfortable. However, you don’t have to manage the pain for long. If your jaw keeps locking up, getting professional treatment is the best way to unlock it for good.
Going to a dentist to get your entire jaw uprooted may seem terrifying, but it’s not what you think. It’s not like your entire jaw would have to be taken out and then screwed back on like Frankenstein. In most cases, it only takes a minor surgery. Sometimes even a mouthguard does the trick.
Why Is The Left Side Of My Jaw Locking Up?
If you suffer from TMJ — Temporomandibular Joint Disorder, then a jaw locking up on one side is no big deal. Sometimes it can be your left side; other times, your right. The reason is that your jaw muscles weaken over time. The ligaments surrounding your mouth can tear, especially if constant stress has been applied to the area. So, if you’re privy to chewing a lot of gum or grinding your teeth, then you are likely to suffer from TMJ disorder.
How to Unlock a Locked Jaw
As uncomfortable as it is, there are quite a few ways to unlock a locked jaw. Although not a permanent fix, the following steps can help minimize the effect of jaw pain:
- Apply a Warm Compress
- Eat Soft Foods
- Try Minimal Jaw Exercises
- Maintain a good Posture
- Ice the Area
- Follow a Nutritious Diet
5 Professional Treatments to Prevent Your Jaw From Locking Up
In the long run, getting proper treatment is the only method that works. No matter how daunting it might seem, fixing a locked jaw with the help of your dentist is the right way to go. Here are some of the top treatments for TMJ you can choose from, depending on the severity:
- Mouthguard: One of the top ways to soothe a lockjaw is by getting a mouthguard. You will have to wear the nightguard for 24 hours or when you sleep. This, therefore, ensures your jaw muscles find their way back to their original resting place.
- Maxillofacial Surgery: In severe cases, dentists recommend oral surgery to reconstruct the entire lower mouth area.
- Cosmetic Dentistry: At times, getting implants, crowns, or dental bridges could also help to resolve the issues of your jaw locking up.
- Orthodontics: Braces are a great way to shift your teeth and jaw muscles back in order. In due time, all symptoms of a misaligned jaw will disappear.
- TENS: Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation is a process where low-frequency electric currents are used for therapeutic reasons. This helps to massage the internal jaw muscles and helps to relieve tension.
Where to get the best Jaw Lock Treatment in Texas?
In conclusion, Waller Dental is the best place to go if you’re looking for a cure for lockjaw. With experts in the field, our dentists will ensure your jaw doesn’t keep locking up. So what are you waiting for? Call (936) 372-2673 today to schedule an appointment.